It is amazing, I have learned more about the nature of the universe and Man's relationship with God in the past decade then I learned the previous two. How is this possible, you may well ask... I had kids.
After that, it all became easy. I look at my children, I see how the act towards each other, and how they act towards me. It all becomes so clear.
I plan, and I struggle to make sure that everything I give them is balanced. That everything my children have is fair and even. I wonder why I bother since it never seems to fail that they find SOMETHING to get upset over. There is a millimeter more milk in one glass. There are different colors, and, the world id ending, I chose the wrong one. One child accidentally bumps into a block sculpture and knocks it down, then I have to quickly intervene to stop a war from erupting. Then the rest of the day I have to watch closely, to make sure that the grudge they are holding close to their hearts does not cause the war to erupt again. Or even worse they hold a grudge against me for some odd thing, and take it out on each other.
this much is obvious, even easy to see. Adults often act like babies. Just look at politics and marriage. But there is a less obvious parallel. In this house, I am God. Sounds vain I know, but it is not my point of view. I am not all powerful, but as far as my children can see, I am. I do everything for them, yet the seem disappointed if here is something I cannot do. I am not all knowing, far from it, but as far as my children know, I am. I answer all of their questions, and they act so confused when the answer is "I don't know." Because I have unwillingly become a household God, I have a small glimpse of what the Universe is like for our Eternal Father.
Squabbling children fighting over shiny toys. Pushing and shoving until it escalates to a fish fight. Whining and demanding ice cream before they have finished their dinner, then screaming about how things are so unfair if the answer is no. crying because you won't let them have a cookie when you were never asked in the first place. The bizarre jumps of logic that leave me blinking in confusion.
I am so glad that God has infinite patience, I know that I sure don't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment