Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I <3 Webcomikz

Most of the time I try to pretend to be grown up and responsible and all that stuff I am supposed to be by now. But I have an admission to make. I love comics. That is nearly the only section I read in the newspaper, I have a morning ritual when I check my e-mail I also read webcomics.

I don't know what it is but I love webcomics. As I am sure you can tell by the extensive list off to the left. I was first introduced to them around 2000 by my former brother-in-law Robbie. He, of course, knew that my husband and I were old school geeks, and he frequented a comic book store, and one thing led to another. He introduced me to Dork Tower. Old school pen and paper roleplaying and computer gaming. Wonderful stuff. (but I think that John has been doing too many other projects for the past couple years so they quality has backslid a bit.) I followed the links from Dorktower.com to see what he liked, and so on and so forth. A couple of my favorites were recommended by friends. But most of them were listed by other webcomic artists.

Now, not everything on that list is an actual webcomic, a lot of them I discovered in my newspaper, and are syndicated. But I am pleased as can be to find them online as well.

I have, of course, investigate others Webcomics, There are a TON of them available. But I only put links to the comics where I had read the entire archive. I figured that if I didn't care enough about it to read it all it wasn't worth listing. I have literally wasted days just sitting in front of my computer reading as much as 10 years worth of comics.

Every artist has a different ideas when it comes to what to publish in books, and what to publish online. Some keep the two completely separate. Having the philosophy that you won't buy the cow if you get the milk for free. Some publish the online comics but put extras in the books to encourage you to buy them. Some brave souls put everything that is available in print online as well. I only own trade paperbacks from three sites, Dork Tower, Girl Genius and Order of the Stick. Sadly I do not have all the volumes, and I really want to get PS238 also, but the budget is a little tight at the moment. However, that is not really on topic. Order of the Stick prints everything from online, but has also printed a couple volumes of backstory. Girl Genius is an interesting story. they used to publish only in the traditional comic books, but made the jump to online, and made everything available on their website. Now that they are giving it out for free, they are making so much more money. Because so many more people are finding out about them and how great their story is. I own four out of the seven volumes and am hinting at Santa to bring me the rest this Christmas.

No comments: